Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Boat sometimes starts and sometimes not, along with trim

Customer Question

Boat sometimes starts and sometimes not, along with trim control. Messed with it yesterday and got it to work.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: boat does not start, but have power. popped of throttle control and messed with circle and got it to start. but have to do that most of the time and the power trim does not work. feels like not sending a signal to the out drive.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: nope.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the year/make/model on the engine you are working on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1995 Sea Ray 220 Bowrider. 5.7
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Who makes the engine in the boat, is it a Mercruiser, Volvo, OMC or something else?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mercruiser. I have attached a picture of the throttle.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Got it, and got the picture.

What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
boat does not start, but have power. popped of throttle control and messed with circle and got it to start. but have to do that most of the time and the power trim does not work. feels like not sending a signal to the out drive.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Yes I got that. Now what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the issue? How do I fix it?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

That's not a realistic question.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I don't know what you have for tools or abilities, or what you've done so far. Do you need wiring diagrams? Do you need explainations of how the circuits work? Please be as specific as you can with your questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What else can I tell you? Do you think it is throttle related? is there a switch inside the throttle that needs to be changed? Can I spray it with WD-40 to clean and that may solve
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nevermind