Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 94 four wins fling jet boat with an On my way! 115

Customer Question

I have a 94 four wins fling jet boat with an On my way! 115 turbo jet. The boat hasn't been in the water in 2 years. It had about 5 gallons of unstabized gas in it. I added a can of sea foam and added 5 gallons of fresh super unleaded gas to what was in it. When trying to start it it backfires trough the exhaust but stalls before I can even try to rev it up. I'm not sure if I should get all the fuel out and start with fresh fuel?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Since the boat has been sitting that long and the fuel was old you need to go through the fuel system. The carburetors must be removed, disassembled, cleaned and carb kits installed. If you don't it is possible that if you do get it running it can be restricted enough to burn a piston. Fuel contamination from old fuel is the biggest problem we have with marine engines.

So I would start with a compression test, spark test and then if these are good rebuild the carburetors and pump the fuel tank. All the new fuel and sea foam does is break up the old fuel and clog up the fuel system.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that makes sense. It's an O M C 115 didn't see auto correct changed what I meant. I'm not overly experienced in marine engines so professional advice is likely to help me figure things out quicker. I've never cleaned or rebuilt marine carbs so I'm not sure that's something I want to tackle. Is that something a untrained person can have success with?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

These are simple carburetors. All you have to do is remove the air box on the front of the carbs. Disconnect the fuel lines and unbolt the carbs.

Then disassemble the carbs clean them with carb cleaner. Replace the inlet needle and seats and gaskets. Set float and reassemble. The hardest part is cleaning the carb and getting all the jets cleaned.

I can help if you get stuck.

Post back with questions.