Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 Crownline 25 CR I believe with the 454 dual

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Crownline 25 CR I believe with the 454 dual prop outdrive I just bought the boat! it has an auxiliary switch for outdrive up because it doesn't work on the Quicksilver shifter . It works to look lower unit down but not to come back up.My first time on the lake I was able to use both switches and everything worked fine. The second time on the lake the out drive down switch on the actual quicksilver shifter wouldn't disengage !I didn't notice for about 5 to 8 minutes. by that time it was smoking out the rear and we loaded it back on the trailer. We were towed back to doc I didn't notice any damage I put the muffs on it and started it and everything seemed fine when I put it back in to the lake for the third try of the year it wouldn't engage in forward or reverse but if I push the neutral button I can get high Rpms in forward and reverse just wont engage .
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Pat, my name is Jason.

Go back to the engine and locate the shift plate, this is usually on the top left hand side of the motor. The shift plate is where the upper and lower shift cables attach. The upper shift cable is the one that runs up to the shifter handle. Does that cable move when you move the shifter handle back and forth?

Make sure you do this with the engine running, as they will not shift properly with the engine off. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It won't move! There's very minimal movement probably an eight to quarter of an inch and it doesn't engage that cable at all.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Pat, good morning and sorry for the delay. When you replied back last night I was already off to bed.

When the cables are disconnected, is the shifter handle moving at all, or is it not moving?