Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I'm told my '87 outboard is seized uo. it hasn't been run

Customer Question

i'm told my '87 johnson outboard is seized uo. it hasn't been run since last fall because i wanted to get the fuel replaced. at that time it sarted right up, but would not rev. i thought carbs needed cleaning. was unable to find anyone to work on it, so i drained out the gas. found a guy last week. he immediately said it was seized . is there any measure to take before looking for another engine?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: that's all i can think of right now. thanks
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in original message, i meant to "i wanted to get the fuel line replaced".
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I would verify the power is seized and not the lower unit. These engine don't usually seize from sitting. Now lower unit can seize from sitting if they have water in them. I have seen customers use there boat. Put it away for the winter then go back to get it ready and the engine be locked up. It turned out they had a leak in the gearcase and the lube leaked out and the lower unit ingested water. It sat and seized. So I would check the lower unit lube first. Remove the drain plug at the bottom of the gearcase what runs out?