Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Boat stranded on the water, engine cuts off after about 30

Customer Question

Boat stranded on the water, engine cuts off after about 30 seconds. Oil reservoir is a little below the line. Don't have access to more outdrive oil at the closest source. Is there an oil substitute available from an auto parts store?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can we supplement with 10w30 or 20w50 to get the boat back to the landing? No merc oil available near location.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oil is 1 inch low on the reservoir. This is a mercruiser alpha 1
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Low drive oil will only sound and alarm. It will not disable the engine in anyway.

What are your symptoms?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
engine stops after 20-30 seconds after cranking.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
getting the serial for you
my son is on the water in the boat and I am on the phone with him.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

This is either fuel starvation or an ignition issue. Will engine restart?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
0L606107 0L717585 4.3L thunderbolt 5 ignition.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
engine will restart each time
run for 20-30 seconds but also while running high speed and shut off
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Does your son have any way to do a voltage test at the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a few years back we had a problem with a purple wire (oil sensor I think) that is connected on the port side under the block. I think we had the same symptoms then. Not sure if he has tools for voltage test on board.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
phone call would have to be directly with him. But I think email and web with me is fine.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he wiggled the purple wire and it seems to be running longer now.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Tell him to try this. On the starter we need to jump from the battery cable terminal to the purple wire on the start solenoid. Now start engine does it continue to run?

In this diagram jump with a piece of wire from A to D.

I can call him if you like.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its almost definitely the purple wire connection. It is running at fast idle now for two minutes after he wiggled the purple wire.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I reconnect with you if he gets stranded again? He is going to try to return to the landing in the next couple of hours.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Yes you can I will be here.

I think you are having an issue with the oil pressure switch that runs the fuel pump when engine is running.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Jumping the wire on the starter will verify this is the problem. We are bypassing the oil pressure switch that runs the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
gotcha. Once he is back to his house we can run that test. He is going to get it to the closest marina and take a cab back to his landing to get his truck. If he runs it at slow speed, we think he can make it 5 miles to the marina. He also has towboat US coverage if he needs it. Appreciate you help. I can see why you have such high marks.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. If it does quit on him this will get him back. From your description of the issue this is the problem. Fingers crossed it gets back safely.

Keep me posted I will be available all afternoon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to keep this issue open if we can. Willing to up the fee since it is looking more complicated than a simple oil question.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Yes it will stay open till we get your issue resolved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way the block was replaced this spring but it has run well until now. They went to replace the Fly wheel after they found the starter was loose. Then they found that the ear for the starter bolt had broken off. They could not weld it back on so they replace the block. Not related I don't think, but I'm not sure if the sensors and such were replaced.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Not related. These oil sensors are bad about the terminals corroding and the sensor failing.