Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a bf8d with same carb as above diagram. I ran fine

Customer Question

Hello Jeff, I have a bf8d with same carb as above diagram. I ran fine until I stored it with the wrong side up. Found a little oil in the intake throat. I use it for trolling. It starts fine but during trolling the idle will suddenly come down. Also, when I rev it it sounds choked like it's starving for air or fuel. I have spent hours searching when I came across your answer above. Do you recommend the same or another route? Any help would be appreciated. Have a great weekend.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Jeremy, my name is Jason.

Jeff isn't online right now. Did you want to wait for him, or was there something I could help you with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would prefer Jeff since he answered another similar question online. If you can't answer then can I ask Jeff?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

You can ask Jeff but I have no idea when he will be online next. I looked at his profile history and the last time he was on was on the 25th of july. Do you want to wait around and see if he shows up, or did you need more immediate help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need more immediate help. This is guaranteed so I'm covered.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

If the engine was laid down on the wrong side and oil got into the carb ultimately the carb is going to be clogged with oil, and it will need to come off, come apart, and go into an ultrasonic machine to be properly cleaned out. That's what needs to happen. Do you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I think that should do it. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used to be a mechanic and can remove the carb but don't have ultrasonic tank. Can I do this myself? It's boating season and I need to get this done before a shop is going to be able to help me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really? That's it? That's all you got? I used this service because Jeff gave someone a detailed explanation of the problem and provided an exploded view of the carburetor and how to fix the problem. And all you tell me is it needs to go in a soak. In order for me to be happy I want service like Jeff gives.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

I used to be a mechanic and can remove the carb but don't have ultrasonic tank. Can I do this myself?

Without an ultrasonic machine, not likely. Honda specificially states, and I quote "

Use an ultrasonic jewelry/parts cleaning tank. This is the best way to clean a carburetor because this

process removes deposits even in inaccessible internal passages and it will not harm any carburetor parts

or your skin. Refer to the Honda Marine Tool and Equipment Program Catalog for details."

That being said I don't bother clean these by hand, there is almost no point to. The odds are against me that it wouldn't be clean enough to get it to run correctly afterwards.

Really? That's it? That's all you got?

Well no, not really. But we are not having a face to face or over the phone conversation, so I don't know what it is you want to know. If there is something you want to know, please just ask.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The following is Jeff's answer to the question I was referring to in my original question. Apparently you can't see that on your end? I was asking him if this could be my problem so I can fix it myself: Welcome,this question may need more than a single answer. Please post back with additional questions on this at any time.Going from my past experience with this engine it would appear the problem is the carburetor.
The carburetors are made for Honda and have a couple of weak links. What I would look for first is a problem in the low speed idle jet.
If you look into the carburetor you will see a thin brass "tube" through the center of the throat to the mixing chamber in the top of the carb.
This very thin tube is also the idle jet. Just above the orifice in the center of the tube are some very small openings to allow some air into the tube.
The problem comes in that the tube develops cracks between and radiating out from these small holes.
The other problem common to these carburetors is a leaking O ring at the top of this jet tube where it goes into the top of the carb.
There is no definitive test. What you or your shop needs to do is to disassemble the carb and examine the jet with a 10X magnifying glass. They can be hard to spot!
If any cracks are found then the jet and the O ring on the top are replaced.
The ports are not bad, the jet about $25 and about one hour labor.
I would try this and see how the jet looks. Post back your results and any further questions and we can progress from there if necessary.
The jet is #11 in the drawing.
Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

The following is Jeff's answer to the question I was referring to in my original question. Apparently you can't see that on your end?

Jeff has 4800 satisfied customers, I have 13,700. That is almost 20,000 satisfied customers between the two of us. I have no idea who jeff spoke to and when he spoke to them, or what he spoke to them about. I can't see any of that on my end, and i'm not about to go through all 4800 of his customers trying to find the 1 thing you found online.

The carb needs to be rebuilt. I can't teach you how to rebuild a carb over the computer. You need roughly 20 weeks, 5 days a week, 6 hours a day, in a technical college to learn how to do it properly. (That's how much time I put in, just on carbs and nothing but carbs)

Can you rebuild the carb, without an ultrasonic, probably not, but I'm no judge, I just answer peoples questions. Did you have any other questions for me on the issue?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought I was asking Jeff a follow up question as in a forum. Right below his answer it said, "ask Jeff a question" and I got you. You completely ignored the question I asked. Jeff revealed some common problems with the bf8d carbs. The jet gets clogged and needs to be cleaned a certain way. The tube gets micro cracks. If you have so much experience with carbs then answer the questions. Jeff seemed to have experience with the Honda bf8d. From what you have said you have experience looking up what Honda recommends, that doesn't help me. You still have not told me one thing other then my carb needs a soak tank. It's like you have book know how bit not practical. It doesn’t matter to me how much satisfied customers you have versus Jeff. Now, are you going to answer my questions or do I need to seek Jeff's help?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

I will opt out and leave the question open to the community. Good luck with your issue.