Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2002 CHAPARRAL 300 SIG. Intermittently wont start on port

Customer Question

2002 CHAPARRAL 300 SIG. Intermittently wont start on port engine. No click all guages come to life. Wiggle the throttles and it will start or after it cools it starts.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also noticed the other day that the port throttle was stuck in reverse until I moved starboard side from forward to reverse a few times.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I dont' know what you tried and did not try own your own yet, what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is Corey, I haven't tried anything yet. The problem is highly intermittent
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Corey,
The most common item that would cause this is a poor battery cable connection. It can be either cable, but it's usually the ground side. What you would want to do is remove ALL battery cables, sand down all ends of all cables with some sand paper until every connection point is clean, shiney, and free of corrosion, and then re-attach the cables. Does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Was there anything else Corey?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jason, power and grounds are good at the battery. Do you know if there is a neutral safety switch that could be causing this, if I wiggle the throttles enough the engine will start.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

There is a neutral switch inside of the shifter. If you hold the key to start with 1 hand, and then wiggle the shifter with the other hand, if it attempts to crank over then the neutral switch is on it's way out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That sounds like something. Ill pull it apart and check it. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Corey, just checking in, did you have any further questions on the issue?