Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Mercury 115 hp 2008, stalls when motor becones warm, 5-6

Customer Question

Mercury 115 hp 2008, stalls when motor becones warm, 5-6 minutes after haven start the engine. I,e. It stalls when motor becones warm.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Andre my name is Jason.

What is the serial number on the engine?

Have you checked or do you have the ability to check both fuel pressure and spark output?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have tried to find the serial number, not easy. Looks like(###) ###-####02-AD, or 800406, or 8m0029551 not sure where the number is ***** Anyway, sparks plug chaged in 2015. Fuel is fine until the motor gets warm.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

see picture - http://outboardpowerheads.com/serialnumbertag.jpg

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still waiting for your feedback Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

I'm still waiting for you, do you see the reply I left you at 5:35 PM EST?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I did not see your reply at 5.35pm
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
I will repost it see picture - http://outboardpowerheads.com/serialnumbertag.jpgHave you checked or do you have the ability to check both fuel pressure and spark output?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Received. I do not have the ability to check both fuel pressure and spark output. I will go back to check the serial number Jason.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

If you do are not able to check fuel pressure or spark what kinds of questions did you have for me?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, I am not a mechanic. Are ordinary people usually knows and have the tools to measure gas pressure and spark output?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My question is easy. What are the possible causes?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

There is nothing easy about it. There are way to many things to list, I could speculate for hours.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok then Jason, it means that my issue can not be resolved by E mails.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Without being a mechanic, I found out that my air filter made from sponge disappeared few days ago. i have changed it with a new one.
Is it possible that dirt came into my low pressure gaz filter?
Thanks Jason for you answer.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you still need assistance on the motor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did not receive assistance so far, just questions. Again since my air filter collapsed and possibly some small parts went into the carburetor and fuel filter should I try to first change the lower pressure gaz filter?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Charles, sorry for the delay. Yes, the identification number is ***** Model Jan 2008 115XL4S sold in Canada.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** motor stalls, does it actually die, or just lose RPM? Is there a primer bulb in the fuel line going to the engine?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relevant questions Charles. The motor looses RPM and dies a few second afterwards. No, there are no primer bulb going to the RPM. I removed the gas cap earlier today, and the motor ran very well at idle for about 16 minutes, then stalled. Maybe a coincidence but at the same time high waves appeared. Maybe there is water in the thank. I will check later tonight when there is no waves/shaking so if there is water in the tank there will be no mix with gaz. Hope we will be kept in touch Charles.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

If there is water in the tank, it would be on the bottom, the fuel would be on top of it. But the engine would have not run for so long. When you get to the boat, remove the fuel line from the front of the engine, then look inside it to see of it is coming apart.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The motor ran Very well on idle this morning for 20 minutes, then stalled. Fine I will change the fuel filter, and check the gaz line on Tuesday. Thanks Charles for you advice.
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Did your alarm happen to sound when the engine stalled?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No Charles, no alarm, just like if there were no gaz or air going to the motor.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.

Make sure that the fuel line going to the engine from the boat is not collapsing internally.