Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

1998 motor goes wide open and want cut off, when I go fast

Customer Question

1998 Johnson motor goes wide open and want cut off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: when I go fast speed and try slow down it still goes wide and want cut off with the key
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I don't understand what it is doing? "Goes wide open want cut off"

Do you mean you can't shut the engine off? When you pull back the throttle is won't cut off or do you mean won't slow down keeps revving?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I go slow it will ield back but if I go fast it will go wide open wont cut off with the key I have take the gas line off
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

So the problem is you can't turn the engine off with the key switch correct? Has nothing to do with how the engine runs correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all of this
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I The tag is gone 1998 Johnson 50 hp
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok can you get to the wires on the back of the key switch? Does engine shut off if you pull the kill lanyard?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I pulled spark wires off and it keep running if its running slow it cut off
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

I need you to disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack # 20. Start engine and ground the black/yellow coming from the power pack. Does engine shut off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
orange& blue wire from power pack to coil
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

No black/yellow.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no if you go past half throttle it goes wide open and want cut off or idle back
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is Jason.

If the engine runs with the spark plug wires disconnected what is happening is the engine is running extremely lean. Lean means to much air and not enough fuel. There are 2 steps to solving this problem. 1. First is to have the carbs rebuilt and see if it makes a difference or not. If it does not, the engine is going to have an air leak someplace on it, allowing air to enter the engine. The engine block would need to be removed from the outboard, and be completely resealed. Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you