Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have new 2017 SeaRay 19 ft, outboard. I always plug in (

Customer Question

I have new 2017 SeaRay 19 ft, outboard.
I always plug in ( locking ) the drain hole in the bottom of the rear side of the boat before launching my boat.
When I'm opening the drain hole ( after moving boat out of the water ) - all time 2-3 gallons of water going out through the drain hole.
No waves, always calm lake.
Is it OK?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

A small amount is normal but it shouldn't happen all the time.

We need to check for water leaks in the engine compartment. With engine running look for water leaks. Look in the engine compartment in front of the engine see if you see any water flowing.

It is normal for boat to have some water trapped in some compartments that won't show up till you have used the boat. So if you don't see any obvious leaks keep an eye on the amount of water that drains from the boat. If you continuously get this same amount of water then water is coming in somewhere.