Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

With power pilot and 70 (about a 1976) installed, the engine

Customer Question

with power pilot and johnson 70 (about a 1976) installed, the engine will rev with the side lever in neutral, but in forward the engine just sounds muffled and will not rev, sounds like it is being choked but it is not they are open
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need to start with a spark and compression test first. The sp[ark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. The compression must be 90+ psi with no more than 15% difference between cylinders. If the engine is in the water there are a couple of tests you can perform to eliminate the fuel system. When you start to throttle up push the choke. Does engine run better? If no change when throttling up squeeze the primer bulb real hard. Does engine ruin better?

Do these tests and post back with findings.