Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

90hp 2001 2stroke blowing 20amp fuse in the motor.A free

Customer Question

90hp 2001 2stroke blowing 20amp fuse in the motor.A free putting in a new fuse runs fine. When I dock it for the nite, l trim the motor up out of the water. Next day try to trim motor down or start it and nothing..Blown fuse again. What is going on???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Hal. My name is Tan.

Does the fuse blow when you trim the motor or when cranking?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would say when trimming the motor because when i come back the next day nothing works and trimming was the last thing I did. Serial number is ***** o.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Do this trim the motor up and down does fuse blow? The only things that can blow the fuse are the trim relays, start solenoid(only when cranking) and the rectifier of the charging system. The rectifier and the relays are the most likely. If the fuse doesn't blow when trimming the rectifier is the only thing that will cause the fuse to blow if you aren't doing trim or starting the motor.