Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Fouling plugs under load

Customer Question

fouling plugs under load
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok we need to start with a couple of easy tests. Squeeze the primer bulb does it get hard or can you continue to pump?

If bulb gets hard we need to do a spark and compression test. The compression must be 90+ psi with no more than 15% difference between cylinders. Then we must do a spark test using a spark gap tester. Spark must jum[p a 7/16" gap on the tester.

If these check good then we have to use a timing light and run the boat. Check spark on both cylinders when engine is acting up. We want to see the flash of the timing light to be steady with no dead spots. If you find a misfire move that cylinders coil to the other cylinder. Does the misfire move. If the misfire moves then that coil is bad. If the misfire stays then we have another ignition component failing.

From your symptoms we can have spark loss of a flooding condition.

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well this may take me until tomorrow.i have the tools , i understand the process , but i cant get her to the water till tomorrow . if i end my session until tomorrow i will have to pay again. perplexed what to do ?????
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

No you don't have to pay again you have taken care of the first question I was paid. When you opened this new question you put up a deposit. We can continue on this link tomorrow or whenever you get a chance to do the tests.

I will close the other question .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok i will leave this open like it is now , and get back to tou tomorrow .. thanks again
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok your welcome. Talk tomorrow.

Expert:  Adriane-css replied 2 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
Thank you, ***** Support Team
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

I'll be here all day let me know what you find.

Thank you....Tan