Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have Volvo penta duo pro inboard outboard, 2001. How can I

Customer Question

I have Volvo penta duo pro inboard outboard, 2001. How can I tell if the outdrive is trimmed all the way down.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Vance, my name is Jason

Are you having some sort of problem that you are trying to solve, or are you trying to figure out when you are at full trim down?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have had I/O boats for 35 years. Currently have Volvo Penta duo pro outdrive, on 2001 Cobalt. Lately boat does not seem to come out of hole as flat as before when pulling skiers, indicating maybe outdrive is not trimming all the way down. When on the trailer I trim it all the way down and there is maybe 1.5" of the cylinders exposed. I have a picture if that would help.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

There isn't a measurement in the manual regarding the cylinders themselves. When you hit the trim down button, the drive will continue lowering until It stops, when it stops the trim pump motor will start to labor, and you would hear a change in tone from the motor itself. That's how you tell when you are full trimmed down. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just read your answer. I know that when the trim motor starts to labor to let up on the switch. My question still is, how to tell if the drive is all the way down or if there is some adjustment needed.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Does your boat have a trim limit kit installed on it? These are optional, and not every boat would have one.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Do you not know either way?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do not know what you mean by trim kit. I have a trim indicator dial on the dash.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.
If you don't have the trim limit kit then there is no adjustment, when the outdrive is all the way down the tone on the motor will change, and you are at full trim down. If you do have a trim limit kit, there is an adjustment procedure for the trim up and trim down set points. I am attaching the instructions for adjusting the trim limit, see attachment.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Did you get a chance to skim through the file?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Was there anything else Vance?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Vance, just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?