Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

How are you.i have a 2005 yamaha outboard f225 four

Customer Question

hi how are you.i have a 2005 yamaha outboard f225 four stroke.the motor smoke because it burn oil and water coming out with little spot of oil
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote, I do not see any kind of questions in there, how is it I can help you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi how are you.i have a Yamaha four stroke 225hp.it is burn oil when you give gas lot of smoke Coming out and oil coming by the exhaust.piston rings are new,valve seals are new
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i want to know why and where that oil coming frim because it is no supose be like that
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i took the powerhead out i checked and i saw the exaust port from the powerhead wet like oil thast why i change the tings and the seals,the spark plug was burning good.other part that i checked wast the oil pump at the crankshaft but everything there was dry
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Run a cylinder leakdown test on the engine. My bet is that you will have one that is very high. If so, since the rings are new, either there is a wear issue in a cylinder, or you have a cylinder that is out of round.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the cylinders all of them 150 all spark plug are burning good
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No difference on the cylinders and smoke bad when you put gas
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

A leakdown test is where you have a gauge hooked to the cylinder and then apply controlled air to see if the cylinder can hold pressure.

Are you premixing the fuel?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think if I use a Lucas oil I can find something
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No used the regular fuel 93 but anyway the level of the oil is down
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I mean the level of the oil is very low
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if one cylinder is leaking it shouldn't have 150
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I check the compression I wait to check if it loose compression
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

I do not feel that changing oil brands will change anything. Your compression tester has a valve on the end of it, thats why it holds compression.

Just because you have compression, does not mean that a valve or the rings are leaking. When doing a leakdown test, you also listen to where the air is coming out of, different locations mean different items could be bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The other thing is the oil coming down by the exhaust like on the 2 stroke carburetor motor when the carburetor is leaking
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is burning a lot of oil
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is runing fine just that is burning too much oil
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Is that oil on the outside or the inside, that is running down?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the oil coming by the exhaust from top I changed the piston rings and the valve seals because I saw the exhaust ports from the block a little wet of oil
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was think may be the oil pan gasket but when I saw those exhaust port wet I decide to change the piston rings
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

This could be the powerhead gasket, the oil pan gasket, or even a cracked oil pan.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I changed the powerhead gasket,I don't think the crack oil pan because the exhaust pipe has oil.i think the oil pain gasket because when I put gas the oil pump pumping more pressure and if the gasket is leaking more oil coming out
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

True