Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1982 Alpha 1 Mercruiser 140; 181ci - 3.0. Low

Customer Question

I have a 1982 Alpha 1 Mercruiser 140; 181ci - 3.0. Low compression on #2 cylinder (28psi).
It also overheats when under any load. Not in neutral, even at 2000-2500 rpms. I've been working on the overheating problem for weeks. Thermostat was bad, but replacing that didn't solve the problem. Checked and re-checked for blockage anywhere in the exhaust/cooling system, but found none. Checked circulating pump, it's good. Replaced water pump (intake), no help.
Then, I found the low compression and thought it had to be the head gasket. It wasn't the head gasket. I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The compression problem very well could be related to the overheating. If the head gasket is blown between the cylinder and a water jacket what is going to happen is the piston is going to push air into the water jackets. This will displace any water, and cause the cooling system to fill with air. What you would have to do is pull the manifold. Pull the head. Inspect the head for flatness and cracks, inspect the valves, inspect the piston and cylinder walls. If that all looks good, then put it all back together and recheck your compression. Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you available?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have given my credit card information twice, but have not yet been able to chat with anyone. How I get someone to chat with?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I'm here. Did you see the replies I left for you this morning?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I took a day off of work to do this, starting at about 3:00am last night because the page stated that there was an expert online to chat with. I have given my card information TWICE and see that the top of this page says that Jason is online now. Still - no mechanic to chat with or any other kind of response. I think this service is a great idea, but something went very wrong here. I'm done!Officially: I am unable to rate Jason's service because I have yet to receive any.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I'm here, are you not able to read my responses??

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Can you see this response, yes or no??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just opened a separate e-mail to see this. Will every response be another e-mail?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The last response that I see came in a separate e-mail and asked yes or no??
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No, we don't work through email. Each reply is through the website itself. You have to be logged into the website in order to read my replies and also reply back to me. If you are reading this now then all you have to do is scroll up. If you scroll up you should see the message I wrote you at 7:38 AM EST this morning. Can you see that message if you scroll up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have all of your responses, but not until I open another e-mail. I have five e-mails from you in my box. Try to respond to this now if you can read this.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is a 6 minute gap between my last response and your answer. Is that what you show?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Here is what I wrote this morning;