Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a merc 5.0 with and it turns very slowly but won't

Customer Question

I have a merc 5.0 with and it turns very slowly but won't start. the starter is overheating and some smoke was coming out. I rechareged the battery and even tried a booster battery with the same result. I am thinking a bad connection or a bad starter which I changed two years ago
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote. Did you have any general or direct questions that you specifically wanted me to answer, or did you want me to explain how we would troubleshoot this engine in the shop?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** guess I would want to know where should I look for the problem? What would cause the starter to overheat?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was going to change the starter but it's a bit of a job since the boat is in the water. How can I be sure it's the starter or could it be a bad connection?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Yves,

What we do in the shop is measure the voltage at the starter while a helper holds the key to start, cranking the engine over.

Voltage needs to be 9.5V or better, if it is, the starter is bad.

If voltage is below 9.5V, the next step is check voltage at the battery. Voltage at the battery needs to be 10.5V or better with the key held to start, and the engine cranking over. If voltage is low, the battery is weak or bad. If voltage is good, then there is a poor connection between the battery and engine. From here we would remove both the positive and negative battery cables, sand down the cable ends and connection points with some sand paper, re-attach the cables and re-test. If voltage comes up, then it was just a poor connection. If voltage remains low, then the cables are rotten internally, and need to be replaced. Does that all make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Did you have any further questions on the issue Yves?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had to go away for a minute, in the first reply you say " the voltage needs to be 9.5v or better, if it is the starter is bad" I don't understand this statement.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

The voltage needs to be 9.5V or better when measured at the starter with the key held to start, and the starter energized. If voltage is 9.5V or better, and if the starter is not turning the engine over, the starter is bad.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok got it thanks Jason I will test it this in the morning and get back to you :)
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress this morning?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello, any progress?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The starter now makes a swirling sound so I believe I have burned the starter, I also notice that that the battery had some gel on the terminal which could of caused the bad connection. I cleaned the post and will proceed to remove the starter
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

No rating was put through for my help yet, did you have any further questions for me?