Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

The "trim/tilt" gauge on my 2001 50 hp Yamaha 4 stroke out

Customer Question

The "trim/tilt" gauge on my 2001 50 hp Yamaha 4 stroke out board has ceased to function. How do I fix it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi John, my name is Jason.

Are you asking how to repair the gauge itself? How to change the gauge itself, or how to tell if the gauge is bad vs a bad sending unit?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, I don't exactly know. The little lever (sender unit) near the pivot pin, moves freely so I guess maybe I should test the gauge its self? The boat used to be moored in the Deep River section of the CT River. The water there is brackish so I supposed that internal corrosion of the gauge it's self might be a problem, how do I check it?.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

It's pretty easy to check. First pull the gauge out. Turn the key to RUN in order to power it up. Then on the back of the gauge you will se a few different terminals. One will be marked G for ground, another S for sender. With a paperclip or piece of scrap wire, jump G to S. If the gauge is good the needle jump to high/up. If that happens, replace the sending unit. If nothing happens, replace the gauge and retest.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi John

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Jason, Please hang on. I went down to my boat to preform the test you described to me but it has proven very had to access the tilt meter. It is mounted the center console of a 1999, Scout 15.5 center console and the only access seems to be by pulling the console apart from the boat and approching it from within. This is going to take a little time. I've pulled the boat out of it's slip and have it sitting in my driveway. Being that it's such a big project I can't see my getting to it until Saturday and even then it's going to take while to dismount the console/live well combination. Could you please bear with me until then?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Sure thing John. Please keep in mind doing a rating does not close out the question session, you can always reply back at any time even after putting through a rating for my help.

Thanks,
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi John, any progress?