Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

MY 2005 TROPHY WITH A 5.0L MPI HAS A FAULT. WHEN YOU

Customer Question

MY 2005 TROPHY WITH A 5.0L MPI HAS A FAULT. WHEN YOU INCREASE THE RPM FROM IDOL TO 1000 RPM THE TACH READS DOUBLE (2000 RPM). WHEN YOU INCREASE THE RPM TO 3000 RPM THE TACH READS DOUBLE (6000 RPM). THE BOAT SHOULD BE ON PLANE OR NEAR PLANE, BUT THE BOAT IS AT MAX WAKE. THE ENGINE IS NOT GOING 6000 RPM. WHAT IS WRONG? GEORGE
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when the boat is trolling at 1000 rpm and the tach reads 1000 and not double 2000rpm you can get up on plane at about 3200 or 3500 rpm. The tach is reading right at 3200 or 3500 rpm. GEORGE
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi George, this is Jason, I have helped you in the past.

Does the engine eventually make full power and get up on plane?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi George

It looks like you read my reply and logged off without responding back. The website did charge you to speak with me, did you still need whelp with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
JASON: I HAVE LOOKED AT THE DIST CAP AND ROTOR, THEY LOOK NEW. THE PROBLEM THAT I AM HAVING IS INTERMITANT. SOME TIMES THE TACH READS RIGHT AND THE BOAT HAS POWER. AND SOME TIMES THE TACH READS DOUBLE THE REAL RPM AND THEN THE ENGINE HAS LESS POWER. GEORGE
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
JASON: THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUETION IS NO. THE BOAT DOES NOT REACH PLANE IF THE TACH IS READING 6000 RPM. WHEN THE TACH IS READING CORRECTLY THE BOAT WILL REACH PLANE. PLEASE HELP GEORGE
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Randy,

What is the model number on the engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HI JASON: THE MERCUISER MODEL # MCM 5.0L MPI THE FAMILY IS 4M9X05.OGME GEORGE