Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Slow take off, 2007 vx deluxe takes off slow then only get

Customer Question

slow take off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 2007 vx deluxe takes off slow then only get up to around 44 max
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: motor revs up fast 8000 easy feels like it cavitating slipping on take off picks up slow
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Cavatation is a result of excessive impeller to duct clearance. It is exactly what I was thinking was happening as you described it, then you confirmed it. Providing you do not have weeds, fishing line or rope wrapped around the prop shaft, the 2 most common possibilities to create this problem is either a worn or damaged impeller or a worn out impeller duct. Yamaha calls it a housing, impeller. Since the housing has a stainless steel liner, the aluminum impeller is the higher probability component to be causing the problem. Also understand sucking up a rock or shell through the pump assembly can bend a prop blade and cause the same symptoms, and the resolution is usually the same answer, replace the impeller. I am attaching a link to a parts diagram so you can see what I am talking about.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahapwc&a=144&b=12&c=0&d=2007%20VX%20DELUXE%203-PASS%20PROPULSION%20SYSTEM%20-%20EXTERNAL

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Customer/p>