Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Turn the key switch to start,won't crank over. all gauges

Customer Question

turn the key switch to start,won't crank over. all gauges work 1999 capri 1750 bayliner
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i'll turn the key on to start it ,won't turn over. then wait a little then it might crank over & start
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i can think of
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Turn the key to crank position and move the throttle handle back and forth in neutral position. Do this while key is in crank position.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i don't have a volt meter
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok what engine do you have? Mercruiser 3.0?

Locate the start solenoid on the motor bracket just above the starter. Jump from the red/purple to the yellow/red. Does engine crank?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do move throttle back & forth & then sometimes it starts i have the mercruiser 4 cylinder
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my boat is not here its in storage
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok the only way we can find the cause is to do some tests. This can be a bad key switch, bad neutral safety switch, bad slave start solenoid, bad start solenoid on starter, bad starter moroe or a bad wire. So we have to start eliminating components till we narrow down the cause. The most common failure is the slave solenoid.

If you can get a volt meter we can find the exact cause of your problem.