Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Jet Ski runs at home with the hose on - won't start in the

Customer Question

Jet Ski runs at home with the hose on - won't start in the water.This is a '98 Sea Doo with 98 hours. I've cleaned the fuel filter and charged the battery. It runs just fine on the driveway with a garden hose pumping water into it. It's a 15 minute turn from the house to the lake, at which time it won't start - just turns over and tries.Is there an impeller issue, or a water sensor or something? Why is it behaving differently in the lake?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

First thing do a compression test on the engine. Make sure that all cylinders are over 100 PSI and are with-in 15% of each other. Also test for spark on all cylinders. After running on the hose, remove the plugs ans see if there may be water on them. If there is, you will have a leak either in the head or the exhaust and that will need to be repaired