Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

1989 502 crusader had water in the tanks change carberators

Customer Question

1989 502 crusader had water in the tanks change carberators both motors. one engine working other one still had issues change fuel pump on problem engine works for 30 min and then starves from fuel thought I might had gotten a bad pump they were carter electric fuel pump decided to change other pump as well
Now both engines starve from fuel
And air is in the fuel:water separator prime filters runs for short time and dies
Thought maybe I have some holes in pickup line but filled tank to top and same problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Sean. My name is Tan.

Have you checked the fuel lines and the anti siphon valves in the tanks where the fuel line connects to the tank? If the fuel lines are real hard they will not seal well at fuel line connections allowing the engine to suck air.

A way to determine if the boat side fuel system is the problem is to run the engine on an auxiliary fuel source.