Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have 2005 sea Ray with 8.1 horizons. I get a steady engine

Customer Question

I have 2005 sea Ray with 8.1 horizons. I get a steady engine alarm at approx 3000+ rpm. Any ideas? What could cause this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

There are fa few causes for the solid tone on your engine. Overheat, loss of oil pressure and battery overcharge. You will need to test each one locally on the engine to locate the cause. If it is not one of these 3, the engine will need to be hooked to a scanner to discover what is causing it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's a very generic answer I get over the phone for free from local marinas
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Unless you actually test these items, you will not be able to locate the cause. That or take it to the dealer and have them scan the engine. There is no magic dart that I can throw to tell you exactly where the issue lies. I can only tell you how to go about finding the problem.