Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I am trying to get my Merc 9.9 hp, 4 stroke to start first

Customer Question

I am trying to get my Merc 9.9 hp, 4 stroke to start for the first time this season. I had to charge the battery. I put in fresh fuel and I checked the fuse for the electric start but nothing happens when I push the start button. Also, when I try to pull the rope start it will not pull. I took the cowling off and see a lever that is dropping down on top of the pull start mechanism that is not allowing me to pull the rope start. I think the battery might be the problem with the electric start although I had a good charge on it yesterday. It runs the electric trolling motor fine. What do you think?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

ensure that the engine is actually in neutral. With the lock bar on the starter, the engine is actually in gear, and this is also why you cannot use the electric starter.