Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 92 115 hp outboard. I kept getting a overheat

Customer Question

I have a 92 Johnson 115 hp outboard. I kept getting a overheat alarm. So I checked the head temperature with a laser thermometer. 204 degrees. The telltale has a good steady stream. So I replaced the impeller and housing and gaskets. I took it out on the water and ran it wot. No problem. No alarm. Two weeks later when I hooked up the muffs to winterize it, in the couple minutes it takes to spray cylinder fogger overheat alarm went off. I parked it for winter. Well today I tried to take it out and got an overheat alarm just idling at the dock. HELP.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Jason, my name is ***** ***** well.

Have you re-done the impeller since the 2nd overheating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why would I replace it again? It has less than one hour on it.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You don't necessarily have to replace it, but you certainly have to pull it apart and have a look at it and see if it's damaged in any way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the old impeller that I took out was in good shape. Its pumping water.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I am here, please keep in mind I am helping more than one person at a time.

Did you have any general or direct questions that you specifically wanted me to answer or did you want me to explain how we would troubleshoot this type of issue in the shop?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to know exactly how to figure out what the problem is or I want my money back. U haven't told me anything useful.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You should probably just take this in.