Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a Inc cobra 5.8 efi. I bought the boat new in 1994.

Customer Question

I have a Inc cobra 5.8 efi. I bought the boat new in 1994. Always ran well. I have changed the plugs often, it takes about 10 minutes to change all 8 plugs. Use a short swivel scocket. The boat set for about two years due to a medical problems I had. Tried to start the engine for the first time in three years. It started immiately and ran for about 20 seconds. Would start back. I found 3 cylinders full of gas witch lock the motor up. Emptied the fuel from the cylinders. Changed the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator, plugs and filters. Now I have gas running out the throttle body air intake. Got any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the fuel running out of the injectors, the ECU on the engine must be telling the injectors to open up, inspect the wiring harness on the engine for any open wires or shorts, if none are found, you may need to replace the ECU.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the injectors and the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel is running out the intake where the throttle body is. I thought we could have a bent push rod. That doesn't seem to be the case. As fast and strong as the engine fires for 20 to 30 seconds. Should the motor throw any codes?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

If there was a fault on the engine, it would throw a code. Make sure that the throttle body is still fastened securely to the manifold as well, if the fuel is coming out from under it.