Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I'm trying to mount baystar hydraulic system to my 20 hp

Customer Question

I'm trying to mount baystar hydraulic system to my 20 hp honda 2006 but distance from cylinder to tube is to short . can i mount tube to extended motor mount screws or is there a baystar model with longer reach to tilt tube?
Joe Vinas
fredericksburg Tx
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Joe, my name is Jason.

I don't quite understand your question. What is it you are trying to do?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am trying to mount a bay star hydraulic steering system on a 20 hp 2006 outboard on my small boat. To make it fit I have to mount a "surrogate" tilt tube, as my motor does not have a through the hinge tube . To mount the new tube, there is s plate with two circular ring brackets. I have come to the conclusion that the single solution is to drill the mounting plate and figure a wat to get it on extended motor mount bolts, and get a nut and washer in there also, to secure the plate on forward face of the motor mount being careful to achieve perfect position for reach and proper excursion of motor during tilt and turn maneuvers. Since plate sold to me by J M marine comes only in aluminum, I will have machinist duplicate my modification in stainless steel. Please advise as to feasibility. Mock up not possible unless I can change the mounting bolts, but looks like it will work.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can call you or be called at your discretion at(###) ###-#### Joe vinas
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can probably use existing mount bolts if I "thicken" thee jack plate mount to use less of the bolt and thus gi room for nut and washer, but have no idea how
to take them out!
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Joe,

Phone service is available but the website does charge extra for that, and it's not included in your initial deposit.

The confusion I am having is Baystar does not make a steering cylinder for a 20 horsepower engine. They only make steering cylinders for 30hp on up engines. Were you told that a certain cylinder would fit your engine?