Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I want to put a 25hp, 4-stroke, Jet drive motor on a 14'

Customer Question

I want to put a 25hp, 4-stroke, Jet drive motor on a 14' Polarcraft Jon boat. I've been told that I can't because the transom is only 17" (need minimum of 20"). Is that true with a 15" shaft motor? Is there any way the transom could be modified to make this work? Do I need to buy a new "tunnel" boat for a jet motor? We will be using it to go over some rapids for environmental sampling on the Dan river in VA.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is Charles. I will assist you.

For a jet motor, a tunnel hull is much better that a flat transom, it allows the water to come up and reach the jet drive better. The 15in motor will not be vert efficient on the transom of 17 in,