Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have single axl trailer with disk brakes. I just removed

Customer Question

I have single axl trailer with disk brakes. I just removed the wheel, brake calipler?, repacked my bearing and replaced my grease seal. I put the hub back on, screw it tight then backed it off. Put the disk back on the hub and reinstalled the brake caliper. now the brakes are dragging.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Did I miss a step? I'm nut sure my hub is on all the way, even though my spindle nut is as tight as it will go.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Jack up the wheel and spin it, listen to see if you have the brake dragging of it is the nut being too tight and causing the binding. When installing the hub, as long as the read bearing was installed correctly, it would go all the way on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wheel is on and tire is up. The wheel/tire spins (the spindle nut is on correct), but I can hear the brake pads dragging. I want to drive to the lake this weekend (about 50 miles one way) but I'm afraid my brakes will overheat. Is there any way to adjust the brake pad? I bought the boat about a month ago. It's 8 years old. Is there something in the caliper assembly that I can adjust or need to lubricate to allow the piston to release?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

You can remove the caliper from the rotor, then use a C-clamp to push the pads back slightly. Think of it like a cars disc brakes.