Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

On an marine generator starts and runs good 5 minutes and

Customer Question

On an marine generator starts and runs good for about 5 minutes and then begins to lose power and has to be shut down due to electrical burning smell not smokes
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you

Any time there is a burning smell, that equipment should not be ran, except to troubleshoot. You will still need to determine if the smell is coming from the engine electrical or the gen end. If the engine, make sure that the charging system is nit overcharging, this would fry the regulator. If on the gen side, an overhaul of the gen is in order.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you tell if it is coming from the electrical I do not think it is overcharging
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

You will first need to test the charging system using a multimeter. Smell is a strong indication of where on the unit the issue is located. You would also see discolored wiring where it is getting hot.