Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a Honda 2000 bf50a outboard that idles rough.suspect

Customer Question

I have a Honda 2000 bf50a outboard that idles rough.suspect rich condition.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What kind of compression numbers did you get during the compression test?

I see you did the carbs, how did you synchronize them? What tool did you use?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Jason, my name is***** performed a compression test as outlined in my Seloc Honda Outboard repair manual. I performed it hot and cold. The manual did not give me a compression spec but was more concerned with cyl variance between one and other. My results were #1-127 #2-128 #3-128. I am an automotive mechanic trying to diag a 3 cyl outboard. Trying to keep it simple, I may be my worst enemy. I used dial sync vacuum gauge to dial motor in. I did zero out the gauges. 3 yrs ago I got the pontoon and it ran rough. I rebuilt the carbs and checked the timing and set the valves. Engine as I remember it ran smooth afterwards. Engine sat for 2 years with stabil in it. I did not drain the carb bowls. This year started it and idles poor. Some online forums say it's normal for it to run a little rough. Find that hard to believe. I am syncing the carbs with water ears, not in a tank. Thought lack of back pressure could be a concern?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Matt,

What kind of vacuum gauge are you using? What is the vacuum difference between each cylinder according to our gauge?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a compression spec? From an auto mechanic side I am used to seeing higher numbers. Also performed a cyl leak test #1-3psi #2-1psi #3-2psi this was a cold engine test. Sync gauges used were TCMT set (4) gauges. I did zero them out before I started. I did not replaced the o rings in the carbs this year during teardown, due to they were replaced 3 years ago. also looking at flywheel timing mark, I have it lined up with the "T" not the "I" mark on the flywheel, is this correct?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Carb sync was .5"
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

There is a compression spec for a new engine, that is 212 psi +/- 14 psi.

Your readings in the 120's are on the low side. Are you using a quality gauge such as snap on, MAC, Matco, or OTC? Or are you using a harbor freight cheapie?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using both. Harbor freight cheapy with adapters and plugging my Matco into the adapter. 1 psi variance between the 2. Throttle is WOT but muffler/silencer is still attached. (manual did not say to remove it) What about the Flywheel timing mark? Performed a hot running cyl compression test and all cylinders equal 50 psi. Some web blogs say you need to do a compression test at 500 rpm, don't know how you do that. The difference between the flywheel "T" and "I" marks is about 1 tooth in an alignment.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

The flywheel has nothing to do with checking compression or doing the carbs, did you change the timing belt?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
kindly opt out of this conversation
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

No problem. Good luck at the dealer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nope a better tech