Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1996 Kawasaki 750 STS that runs and starts but

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Kawasaki 750 STS that runs and starts but won't get up to full speed. A friend says he thinks it needs a new check valve and fuel filter. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It starts, idles fine and runs ok, but will only get up to about 4000 rpm. If I turn to the right it acts like something is let out of a bind and it will accelerate to about 5100 or 5200 rpm max.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Fuel, oil and temperature guages don't work. Also, out of the water it revs to higher rpm naturally and will rev higher in reverse when in the water than it will in forward gear.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

If your ski has been sitting for some time not used you may need to clean the carbs. Replacing the 2 fuel filters would also be done at that time. If it has been in use, do a compression test and a spark output test. If the compression is less than 100 PSI the top end would need to be rebuilt.