Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 2004 50 hp mercury 2 stroke i was fishing yesterday

Customer Question

hello i have a 2004 50 hp mercury 2 stroke i was fishing yesterday at high speeds it would go out of gear and RPM would race, at low speeds it would still go forward but not high speeds
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan. Chances are the prop has a spun hub. These props have a sacrificial hub that will slip from impact or age. The prop slips so you are able to get back to port. Tilt the motor up and with a marker draw a line through the hub of the prop and the prop shaft. Now go run the boat till it acts up. Now tilt motor up do the lines still line up?

Here's an example of marking the prop.

Post back with findings and questions.