Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Check engine light and alarm on, inconsistently. Put 1 quart

Customer Question

Check engine light and alarm on, inconsistently. Put 1 quart oil in and ok for awhile. Did not replace oil this winter so assumed needed oil. Alarm came on again last night but turned off and on while boat running. Thinking I may need more oil.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the make, model and serial number of your engine please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Johnson 70 hp, 2002. I dont have the serial number on me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe it is a bombadier
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

I would change the engine oil and be sure it is up to full mark. The alarm will sound from low oil pressure or dirty oil.

Post back if the oil change doesn't solve the problem. Do you have allot of hours on the oil and is it more than one season old?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1 1/2 seasons. Probably around 75 hours of use.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Change the oil and lets see if that gets rid of the alarm. If the alarm returns we will have to have the engine scanned on a computer to see what the alarm is. Being intermittent tells me dirty oil cause the oil pressure to fluctuate causing the alarm.

You should have the water pump done also as it is due which can sound the alarm also.

Post back with questions.