Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 90 horse evidence and when trying to plain out my

Customer Question

I have a 90 horse evidence and when trying to plain out my boat when u raise the trim and gas on itthe motor just goes right back down and sometimes it's like the motor will not even go up or down like there is a short
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it just either trim goes back down when I give it gas or like shorts out too when I move it up and down
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the trim bleeding down, you either have the manual relief valve partially open, or there is a failed o-ring in the trim. Check the valve, it is located on the side of the trim unit. If it is tight, the trim wil need to be removed from the boat and inspected/rebuilt.