Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

Ok so i have a 70hp evinrude the a 1996 that i just try to

Customer Question

Ok so i have a 70hp evinrude the a 1996 that i just try to start up the other day and it turns over fine but when i check to see if i was getting any spark it was not what should i do first or is this something i should look into taking to a boat mechanic by the way just pick this boat and trailer Up for $550 It a bass tracker originally bought it off Craigslist I don't have the person's number I bought it from but I do know where they live
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing to check if there is not any spark is to check the safety lanyard switch in the control box, make sure that is is in the on position with the lanyard attached. If that is ok then go at the engine and find the black yellow wire going to the switch box. Disconnect this wire and check again for spark. If there is spark now then the problem is either a defective ignition switch or safety lanyard switch or a broken wire within the wiring loom to the engine.

If still no spark then you would need to take it to a marine mechanic so that he can troubleshoot all ignition components.

If you require further assistance let me know.