Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My evinrude 175 is locked in the full up position and will

Customer Question

My evinrude 175 is locked in the full up position and will not go down , I hear the motor run but nothing happens, what should I check ? Thanks bob
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Bob. My name is Tan.

You need to loosen the manual tilt release screw. This will allow the engine to drop down. Firts lets check the fluid level in the trim pump. Then we can open the manual release.

In this diagram the fill cap is # ***** remove cap and fill till fluid runs out the fill hole. Use ATF DexronIII or trim and tilt fluid. Then on the port side of the trim unit is the manual release screw #1. There is a hole in the engine bracket towards the bottom you will see a slotted head screw. Turn that screw 4-5 turns CCW the engine should drop down. Once it has dropped down tighten the manual release screw. Now cycle the trim up and down a few times. Run to full up position and check fluid level again. Fill if needed.

That should resolve your issue. If this doesn't look like your trim please post your engine model number.

Post back with questions.