Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I THINK MY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ON MY 250 EFI MERC IS

Customer Question

I THINK MY ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ON MY 250 EFI MERC IS OVERHEATING, ENGINE SHUTS DOWN AND WONT STAR AGAIN TILL NEXT MORNING. I CLEANED OUT THE VST TANK AND THE FILTER ON THE PUMP, ALL SEEMS GREAT , SHOULD I REPLACE THE PUMP JUST TO BE SAFE. ALSO CAN THE PUMP OVER HEAT.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

I have never heard of a fuel pump overheating, since it is sitting inside fuel. When the engine stalls, is the VST cover over the fuel pump really hot?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
NOT SURE WE BROKE DOWN IN ROUGH SEAS, I WAS TOLD THAT ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS WILL OVERHEAT IF THE PUMPS FILTER IS GUMMED AND WILL NOT START BACK UP UNTILL COOLED DOWN, I CLEANED FILTER AND VST TANK.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Was the filter on the pump clogged up? If not, the pump is not the cause. We will need to do some further testing.