Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 5.7 carburated v8 mercruiser with a bravo 3

Customer Question

I have a 1998 5.7 carburated v8 mercruiser with a bravo 3 outdrive. The boat was running fine, but starting yesterday when accelerating to get the boat on plane, its loses power and stalls. The engine starts and idles good and operates at low rpms; it just started to lose power and stall when accelerating. It seems like it may not be getting adequate fuel supply when accelerating. any ideas besides changing the fuel filter/water separator? Any other fuel filter to consider?Thanks, Dan
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Hello Dan. My name is Tan.

Have you tried running the engine off another fuel source. If you have debris in the fuel tank this will cause the same symptoms as a clogged fuel filter. We need to do this test to eliminate the boat side fuel system as a possible cause of your issue.

There is a test we can perform if you can't get another fuel source that will require a vacuum gauge some fuel hose and brass tee.