Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have a 96 Evinrude 115hp outboard and I am trying to

Customer Question

I have a 96 Evinrude 115hp outboard and I am trying to figure out where the Neutral Safety Switch is located at. On the engine or in the remote handle?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: When I shut the boat off I have a difficult time getting it into neutral in order to start it up again. I have to rotate the gear handle back and forth between forward and reverse in order to get it to finally move into neutral.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Overheat alarm when running at mid to full throttle, but I think that may just be a bad sensor.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The neutral safety switch is located in the remote control handle box. Regarding your problem the control box should lock when in neutral and not keep going to reverse or vice versa. To put into gear you would need to press the red button under the handle but to go out of gear you should just need to come back to neutral and it should lock. The neutral safety switch is just there not to let you crank the engine while on gear.

If you have further questions let me know.