Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 1995 Sea Ray F16.. I have water in the Engine

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Sea Ray F16.. I have water in the Engine compartment that is more than normal after the boat has been sitting in the water for an hour. What should I look for.
Scott Hussing
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the boat sitting static in the water, there should not be any in the bilge. Since you are taking on water, make sure that the bilge plug is seating tightly, and inspect the 2 bellows between the boat and the jet pump. One is for the shift and the other if for the steering. They are made of rubber and do fail over time. It may be wise, due to the age of the boat to replace them both.