Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Is there anyone who can help with the 2003 Kawasaki 1100 STX

Customer Question

Is there anyone who can help with the 2003 Kawasaki 1100 STX that will not crank?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I am really trying to understand what you are up against here and what is confusing me is the whole description about an OEM fuel line, a fuel rail and the 6 seconds running, I know I am not getting it because it sounds like disconnecting a fuel line makes it run. It is a carbureted ski so it doesn't have a fuel rail, although I do know what you mean about the fuel supply for the carbs.

I am wondering if you ever pulled the spark plugs out when it wouldn't start, before you ever did anything with the fuel line, to see if they were wet, dry or dripping. If not, it would be a valuable piece of diagnostic information.

When you say you removed the OEM fuel line from the outlet of the filter, I assume you mean you disconnected it from the carbs and had fuel coming out the hose at that point. Meaning you believe that fuel is getting to the carbs. But, then you say, when removing it, is when it starts and runs. To be clear, the way you can get your ski to start is to take the fuel line off and crank it with no fuel supply to the carbs?

Let me know if that is the case. If not, make another run at explaining it and we will get to the bottom of this.

Expert:  RSRBOB replied 3 months ago.

Ok, I do apologize. I was thinking it was a ZXI and not an STX DI.

We do need to know if the spark plugs are getting fuel so they need to be checked after you attempt to start the ski. If they are getting wet, but not coming out dripping, soaking wet, then we have adequate fuel supply. If they are dry, the injectors are not firing.

The only other variable, since you confirmed it has spark, would be compression. Compression is the most basic of all diagnostic tests and is a staple in any technicians arsenal. Let's run a compression test on all 3 cylinders to make sure we are not battling a mechanical problem. When you do a compression test make sure you leave the other 2 spark plugs installed for proper readings. Unplug the connector that powers up the fuel injectors so it is not going to inject fuel while doing the compression test. Make sure you ground the spark plug leads while performing the compression test.