Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 Tige PRE2100. When the engine gets above 180

Customer Question

Hello:
I have a 1998 Tige PRE2100. When the engine gets above 180 degrees, the idle slows down and the engine sputters and then dies. It does the same thing in "first gear" (the slowest speed past neutral). It's very hard to pull a skier.
I've had the fuel pump replaced by the local Tige dealership. I've also had the carb rebuilt. After nearly $2,000 in repairs, it still does the same thing.
The Tige dealership wants me to bring it back again. Unfortunately, the engine does not do the same thing when it's out of the water. If I take the boat back in, they are going to charge me hourly to take it to the local lake. I'm looking at a very expensive diagnostic and it may still not fix the problem.
Please help.
Thanks,
Dave
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi Dave, my name is Jason.

What is the serial number on the engine. Does the engine have open cooling or closed cooling with a heat exchanger and antifreeze?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to go to the storage unit to get the serial number. It's a closed system. The antifreeze was checked by the local mechanic before we took it out last weekend.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Okay i'll be here.