Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 90hp 2010 that is eating starters. We put a starter

Customer Question

I have a 90hp 2010 that is eating starters. We put a starter in and within 20 starts it is binding and done. The starter is bolted down correctly, there are no chaffes in the cables. Could the crank bearing be bad and bending the starter when turning over?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Mark, my name is Jason.

I read what you wrote, what do you mean by it's binding? Is the starter not turning the engine over?

Do you have a meter in order to check voltage at the starter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a marina but don't work on Honda....there is plenty of voltage. What happens is it will turn and start the motor fine for approx. 20 times then it just spins and won't engage and will start to drag and get hot. Thought we had a bad sierra starter so put a new Honda starter on and same result. I have both starters on the bench and they will run about 10 seconds then will start to heat up and smoke.....sounds like it is binding up. These were installed properly and were flush on the power head.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hmmm... Have you pulled the plugs on the engine and tried to spin it over by hand to make sure there wasn't something in the powerhead or lower unit causing excessive drag?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Are you still with me Mark?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am but will take a bit to pull the plugs....the fly wheel is on the bottom so I can't spin the flywheel, I can turn it an inch or 2 at a time with a screwdriver. powerhead on this Honda is upside down. It sounds fine turning over and runs and idles fine. Is there supposed to be oil residue in where the starter goes in the flywheel cavity?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

No, there shouldn't by any oil in there.

Did you (or another tech) actually measure the voltage at the starter with the engine cranking over?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
without a load and the starter on the bench it starts at 12+ then drops to 10 then 8 then 6 in a 10 second period. it did the same on the boat. I did not test the starter when we first put it on only when it was brought back.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

What matters is what the voltage reads when it's bolted to the engine, under a load, and actively turning the engine over. It needs to be 9.5V or better while cranking the engine over. If there are bad cables, a bad battery switch, poor connections, or anything else that causes a more than normal voltage drop the current draw is going to go up. When starters draw to much current, they heat up, burn up, and smoke. You should be okay bolting the old starter back up and see what the voltage is to that starter. If it's below 9.5 when actively cranking the engine over, then what you have is a low voltage problem that is causing the starters to burn up. Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm pretty sure it was 10 volts but will install the new starter this afternoon and will check it again. That does make sense..
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

That is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
with the old starter it is 10.5-11.5 volts cranking
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

That's where it needs to be. Was there any extra drag when trying to spin the motor over by hand?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we have a brand new starter coming tomorrow, the starter that is on it is gone but got it to turn enough for a reading.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Did you ever get a chance to spin the engine by hand?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
spun easy and starts and runs great when the starter works
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Nothing is standing out as far as something actually being wrong. You might have just got a bad starter (after the original failed) but you'll know once you get the new starter in place. I do like hearing the outcomes so if you don't mind, please let me know how you make out.