Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Engine starts and idles ok but then no power on acceleration

Customer Question

Engine starts and idles ok but then no power on acceleration - some popping from the exhaust- Volvo penta 4.3GXI
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Not much more to add
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Was running fine previously and was serviced prior to the season
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

GXI is a family of engines, not a specific model number. There will be 1 or more letters after that, can I get those letters so I know exactly which engine you have.

Next, what kinds of questions did you have?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply and left the conversation. The website did charge you to speak with me, was this something you still needed help with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The engine is a 2004 Volvo penta 4.3 GXI - EF
The engine had been running well at full power and slow speeds - stopped for lunch for couple of hours then difficulty starting and once running can get no power - just idle speed.
Next day started fine, revs ok in neutral but still no power under load
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PS - I'm in the south of France- 6 hours time difference ahead of East coast USAWill OGrady
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Got it.

Did you have any general or direct questions that you wanted me to specifically answer? Or did you want me to explain how we troubleshoot these symptoms in the shop, going step by step, covering all bases?