Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My 2001 yamaha 115 2 stroke was running great at the end of

Customer Question

my 2001 yamaha 115 2 stroke was running great at the end of last season, started up this spring ang ran great at idle. started out onto lake and upon giving gas rpm's increased and then motor started to run very rough would not go to full throttle and shook violently. reduced throttle and ran smoothly at approx. 1200 rpm's all the way to dock. thought it may be the ignition advance binding but that was not the case.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Tom, my name is Jason.

It could be a number of things, but typically you start with the gas itself. How old is the gas in the boat?

Also, is there any kind of fuel water separating fuel filter installed onto the boat between the tank and outboard?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
gas was purchased same day as launch
yes yamaha fuel water separater
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Good morning.

Was new gas mixed with old gas, or was the tank bone dry when you added fuel to the boat?