Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 225hp Yamaha 2 cycle outboard. I think it's a 2001.

Customer Question

I have a 225hp Yamaha 2 cycle outboard. I think it's a 2001. I had the gas tank in my 22 foot boat replaced. It starts and runs fine at low rpms, but the first time I took it out, it cut out when I powered it up. It didn't dye but abruptly shut down at higher speeds. My mechanic is highly respected and I've been using him for 10 years. Thinking it was a fuel problem, he hoked up a 6 gallon gas tank and it did the same thing..He said it's not a fuel but an ignition problem. He doesn't have much experience with 2 strokes and said I have to take it to a Yamaha dealer. It;s a lot of trouble to do so and I;m hoping to avoid it. Do you have any idea what might be causing this Problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Patrick, my name is Jason.

Your question ended up in the wrong category, and it was not forwarded to me until now. I know it's been a couple of hours, was this something you still needed help with, or did you already find the help you needed?