RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

I own a Yamaha 230 AH HO, 2008. One of the Gates does not

Customer Question

I own a Yamaha 230 AH HO, 2008. One of the Gates does not close and affects the steering when reversing. What do you think it may be? How much do you think it will cost to repair?
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The most common problem would be a cable related issue. Like corrosion is affecting the movement and limiting the travel of the reverse gate. One other possibility is the cable got bent from impact. One way to check, which will actually check the 2 most common problems at once, would be to disconnect the reverse cable from the problem jet and check travel of the gate without the cable and then operate the shifter lever and see if the cable is moving as much as the jet that is functioning properly. If the cable is not moving sufficiently, it is most likely going to need to be replaced. Here is a link to a parts diagram that will give you an idea of what to look for:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahajb&a=72&b=30&c=0&d=2008%20SX230%20HO%20(EXCEPT%20CALIF.%20AND%20NY)%20(SXT1100CG)%20CONTROL%20CABLES

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Excellent. Thank you for your prompt and expert response.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 4 months ago.

You are most welcome. Feel free to get back with me if you have any more questions.

Tanks

Customer/p>