Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My Volvo penta 5.0gxi engine was running fine then last

Customer Question

My Volvo penta 5.0gxi engine was running fine then last weekend after we ran all day during pulling skiers at 3000 rpms it quit. When I tried to start again it tries to turn over but you can tell it's not getting fuel.
I also noticed when I used to just turn the key you could hear the high pressure fuel pump engage. Now it does not. This leads me to believe it's something electrical.
I changed the fuses related to the ignition and fuel pumps but that did not do anything. I see there are some sensors OMRON G8W-1C7T-R-DC12 and 2 GV8-1C7T-R-DC12's. Could it them. Or lastly I have rad some about the electronic control module with the chip that controls that. Could that be what caused the immediate shutdown and now no ability to start.
Any help would be appreciated. The engine came in 2003 chaparral 232 sunesta deck boat we bought last year.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Eric, my name is Jason.

Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jasonthe answer to both of those questions is no. I do not have a volt meter or know how to take those measurements.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

There is nothing we can test together without a meter. Are there any questions I could answer for you?